Question: What are the regulations around burning within in the Fire Protection District?


The Grand Valley Department is responsible for fire safety within the Town of Grand Valley, Township of Amaranth, and Township of East Garafraxa. To this end we regulate only the fire safety aspect of burning within these two areas. The smoke release from these fires are regulated and enforced by other authorities. Please visit the links below for information on what burning is allowed and in what area, what permits are required and who enforces what aspect of the burn.


Town of Grand Valley: www.townofgrandvalley.ca/permits-licenses/


Township of Amaranth: www.amaranth.ca/en/municipal-government/resources/By-laws/05-2009—Fire-Permit-System.pdf


 East Garafraxa: www.amaranth-eastgary.ca/teg/eg_bylaws.htm


Question: I understand that the Fire Department accepts vehicles from the public and uses them for training. I have an old car that I would like to donate. How does this work?


The Fire Department actively trains all members in auto extrication. We have been very successful in this regard and have saved several lives over the years with these specialized tools and training. If you have a vehicle that is surplus to your needs please give us a call at 519-928-3460 and talk to the Training Officer. He will guide you through the process but it is fairly straight forward.
You will need to:
1. Sign the vehicle over to us as the registered owner of the vehicle.
2. Have a vehicle that is useful to us I.e. has tires and wheels intact and car not filled with junk or garbage.
3. Pay for the towing or be able to safely and legally drive it up to our training site at the Fire Hall.

Question: I am renewing my house insurance and the insurance company has a lot of questions… can you help?


We have a lot of information and tips for collecting the information most insurance companies require.

Question: I have just moved into a house with a woodstove, my insurance company is requesting an inspection. Does the Fire Department do this?


This is not a service that the Fire Department provides but to answer your question, what you can do is have a W.E.T.T. certified technician come in and conduct a survey on your stove. W.E.T.T. technicians are usually professional chimney sweeps that have met a level of training that is acceptable to the insurance companies. The reports that they issue and their work is recognized by insurance companies. W.E.T.T. certified technicians can be found in the yellow pages under “Chimney Sweeps” and then look for the stylized W.E.T.T. symbol.

For new installations, a permit is required and can be obtained through the Building Inspection Departments of Grand Valley, Amaranth and East Garafraxa. Please see the links to their Web Sites under About Us for further information. A W.E.T.T. certified installer can help you with the installation of a new woodstove as well.

Please, Please, Please do not install a wood stove without the proper safeguards in place. You and your family’s safety (as well as all your property) could be as stake so make sure you play by the rules when it comes to this!

Question: I have an old fire extinguisher at home that needs to be filled. Does the Fire Department do this?


This is another service that we don’t provide. In fact we don’t even do our own extinguishers any longer, it really is messy! There are a couple of local companies in town that can help you with your extinguisher. Just look in the yellow pages under fire protection and you will see them. Aside from this the Fire Department recommends that every home have a least one 5lb ABC extinguisher per floor, mounted at eye level, near an exit.

Question: Is there any training available in the use of fire extinguishers?


The fire department does provide fire extinguisher training for interested groups. Please give us a call if you think that you want to learn how to use this life saving equipment.

Question: I have smoke alarms and they go off when I cook, what can I do about that?


If your alarm goes off when you cook, chances are that it is mounted too close to your kitchen. This is quite a common problem. If your alarm is battery powered you can just relocate it away from the kitchen. Somewhere in the hallway outside your bedroom is a place that is recommended.

If your alarm is wired in you may be able to replace it with a newer model that is less likely to false alarm. Another great solution is to replace your alarm with one that has a cancel button. This button allows you to cancel the alarm for a few minutes while the smoke clears.

Question: Should I ever change my smoke alarm? What about the battery? When do I change that?


It is recommended that you change up your smoke alarms every ten years as they have a tendency to wear out and become a problem. To extend the life of your alarm you can vacuum them to get rid of accumulated dust this makes them work better and lessens false alarms.

The rule of thumb for changing batteries is when you change your clock back in the fall change your smoke alarm battery, so once a year.


Question: I have a group that is interested in having a tour of the Fire Station. Is this allowed and how do I arrange for a tour.


One of the Fire Department’s top priorities is Public Education and Fire Hall tours are a perfect way to start getting our message out to the community. If you have a group that would like to have a tour please give us a call at 519-928-3460 and we will make every effort to accommodate your request.


Question: Are carbon monoxide alarms required in Grand Valley?



Yes.  The Ontario Fire Code Section 2.16 requires the installation and maintenance of Carbon Monoxide alarms in all dwellings under the following conditions:

  1. In each dwelling unit containing a fuel-burning appliance, CO alarms are required adjacent to the sleeping areas in each unit.
  2. For a building containing multiple dwelling units and the fuel burning appliance in a service room, CO alarms are required in the service room and adjacent to each suite in the building that has a common floor/ceiling with the service room.
  3. In each dwelling unit which contains an attached garage or where there are multiple dwellings on the same level as an attached garage, CO alarms are required in each suite that has a common wall or floor/ceiling with the attached garage.

Please note that “fuel-burning appliance” includes but is not limited to – furnaces, refrigerators, clothes dryers, water heaters, boilers, fireplaces, wood stoves, charcoal grills, gas ranges and space heaters, which are fueled by flammable fuels such as: natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, gasoline, wood and charcoal.


Question: Are outdoor fireplaces permitted in the Town of Grand Valley?


We have received numerous telephone calls from homeowners regarding the use of various types of outdoor fireplaces, chimineas, portable fire pits, and fire rings. Products of this type are deemed to be contravening Sec. of the Ontario Fire Code O. Reg 213/07 which states that “Open air burning shall not be permitted unless approved, or unless such burning consists of a small, confined fire, supervised at all times, and used to cook food on a grill or a barbecue.”

Bonfires, burning of garden waste/rubbish and recreational fires are not permitted in the Town of Grand Valley.

Please understand that the Grand Valley Fire Department cannot prohibit the sale of these products as they may be allowed in other jurisdictions.

Question: Can I burn my leaves and brush during Spring/Fall cleanup?


No. The burning of leaves, rubbish or other debris is not permitted within the Town of Grand Valley.

Question: Can I have a campfire in my backyard?


The answer to this is “NO”; the Town of Grand Valley does not allow recreational fires.

Sec. of the Ontario Fire Code O. Reg 213/07 states that, “Open air burning shall not be permitted unless approved, or unless such burning consists of a small, confined fire, supervised at all times, and is used to cook food on a grill or a barbecue.” This means that you can use a small-contained fire with a grill to cook food on. However, once the food is cooked the fire must be extinguished.

Question: How do I arrange a fire safety lecture for my group, workplace or school?


Fire Safety lectures on a number of topics such as fire safety in the home, babysitter safety, how to use fire extinguishers and seniors fire safety can all be arranged by contacting the Fire Prevention Office in writing.

Written requests should be sent by mail to the Grand Valley and District Fire Department, P.O. Box 83, Station Main, Grand Valley, ON  L9W 7G1 or faxed to 519.928-3460.

All requests should include the following information:

  • The proposed date and time of the lecture
  • The location of the lecture
  • The number of persons attending and their ages
  • The topic you wish the lecture to be on
  • Indicate whether a TV and DVD player are available
  • A phone number where you can be reached during the day


Question: How many smoke alarms do I need in my house?


In the Town of Grand Valley, you are required to have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home in compliance with the Ontario Fire Code.

The Ontario Fire Code requires a working smoke alarm to be installed between each sleeping area and the remainder of the dwelling unit, and minimum one on each storey.

Always remember that a smoke alarm should be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions that accompanied the device. A properly maintained and tested smoke alarm is the best insurance your family can have!

Question: What do I do if I find my child playing with matches or a lighter?


All children have a fascination with fire. They like to watch campfires, fireplaces, candles, etc., but for some, the fascination goes beyond watching. Sometimes it can become a repeated fire setting behaviour!

Each year, hundreds of children are injured in fires started by children playing with matches or lighters. If you feel your child’s interest in fire setting is beyond simple curiosity please contact us for assistance.

Question: Do you have safety courses for baby sitters?


The Grand Valley Public Library holds courses for Baby Sitters and Home Alone. The Grand Valley Fire Department assists these courses teaching Fire Safety, First Aid, and Emergency training. Please contact the library for further information and time of the next courses.





Question: What is the best type of smoke alarm?


There is no simple answer to this question. The two types operate on different principles and therefore may respond differently to various conditions. Some advantages to each type are set out below:


  • Fastest type to respond to flaming fires
  • Lowest cost and most commonly sold
  • Some models have a hush or temporary silence feature that allows silencing without removing the battery
  • Some models are available with a long life battery


  • Fastest type to respond to slow smoldering fires and white or grey smoke
  • Less prone to nuisance alarms from cooking

Notwithstanding these differences, to achieve ULC listing, both alarms must be tested to the same standard and meet the same requirements. Photoelectric smoke alarms may respond slightly faster to smoldering fires, while ionization alarms respond slightly faster to flaming fires. Since you can’t predict the type of fire that will occur, it is difficult to recommend which is best. Both alarms will detect all types of fires that commonly occur in the home. Installing both types of smoke alarms in your home can enhance fire safety.

Do you have another question we have not answered?

Please call 519-928-3460 or email us.